Thursday, May 31, 2012

I'll Go Tell Elizabeth

The Visitation, James J. Tissot
For the Feast of th Visitation here is a song by Ken Medema. You can listen to it here.

So many things are happening to me that
   I don't understand –
Visions and angels and a baby named Jesus –
   It’s not what I planned;
The plans I have made are like birds’ nests
   blown down in the wind and the rain;
And I’m scattered like straw, and I can’t quite
   tell where to find saneness again.

So, I’ll go tell Elizabeth,
For she’ll understand.
I’ll go tell Elizabeth,
She’ll hold my hand – she’ll understand.

“Go talk to Joseph.” Well I’ve talked to Joseph
   and Joseph’s a man;
So many things that a woman can know that
   a man never can.
Joseph is practical and Joseph is worried with
   things of his own.
And talking to Joseph is sometimes no better
   than being alone – being alone.

So, I’ll go tell Elizabeth,
‘Cause she’ll understand.
Yes, I’ll go tell Elizabeth,
She’ll hold my hand – she’ll understand.

Sometimes I wish I could wake up and discover it
   all was a dream;
I ought to be shouting for joy, yet I’m coming
   apart at the seams.
Mostly I’m quiet – I keep things inside me –
   It’s how I get by.
When there’s too much to handle, and I need someone
   near me to share a good cry – share a good cry.

So many things are happening to me that
   she’ll understand.
Now that she’s pregnant her life isn’t going
   exactly as planned.
The plans we both made are like birds’ nests
   blown down in the wind and the rain.
And we’re scattered like straw, and we can’t quite
   tell where to find saneness again – saneness again.

So, I’m coming Elizabeth.
‘Cause I’ll understand.
I’m coming Elizabeth.
I’ll hold your hand – I’ll understand.
Yes, I’m coming Elizabeth.
For I’ll understand.
I’m coming Elizabeth – I’ll hold your hand –
I’ll understand.

No comments: